Yield: 12 tamales
Prep: 30 minutes | Cook: 1 hour and 30 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours
- 12-20 dried corn husks, or as needed
For the dough:
- 1 cup pork lard
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 box of masa harina corn flour
- 3 cups of chicken broth
For the filling:
- 1 chile pasilla
- 1 chile serrano pepper
- 4 Tomatillos, husk removed
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 lb chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper
- Place husks in a large water bowl and set aside to soften.
- For the dough, get a large mixing bowl, mix the melted lard, masa harina corn flour, baking powder and chicken broth. Knead dough until soft, set aside for 15 mintues.
- In a saucepan, cook chicken in water. Once fully cooked, shred the chicken and set aside. Save a cup of the chicken broth for the filling.
- For the filling, combine the chile pasilla, serrano pepper, tomatillos in a large saucepan with water. Bring to a boil, and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Transder to a blender, add garlic, salt, pepper and the cup of chicken broth you set aside.
- To assemble the tamales, take a corn husk, spead a thin layer of masa. Add 3 tablespoons of the sauce and some shredded chicken. Fold in the sides of each husk, and fold the pointed side up, leaving one end open. Repeat process with remaining ingredients.
- In a steamer, place the filled husks with the open ends up.
- Steam for about 1 hour and 30 minutes; make sure to check the steamer doesn't run out of water.
Take a look at our recommended wine pairing for this recipe below.
Pairing Recommendations - Red Blend
91 Points - James Suckling