Crispy Sage with Brown Butter Mushroom Pasta
Yield: 4-6 servings
Prep: 5 minutes | Cook: 25 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 2 large shallots - sliced
- 3 garlic cloves - chopped
- ½ cup fresh sage leaves - about 25-30
- 10 ounces gourmet mushrooms - oyster, maitake, trumpet, brown clamshell - sliced or divided
- 10 ounces cremini mushrooms - cleaned and sliced
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 8-10 Tbsps butter
- Olive oil
- 1 lb fettuccine pasta
- Heat a large pot of salty water to boil pasta. Cook pasta according to package directions. Reserve ½ cup pasta water when draining.
- In a small 6-8 inch skillet heat butter over medium (adjust if too hot) when bubbling add 8 sage leaves - cook until crispy 2-3 minutes, remove with slotted spoon and rest on plate, continue until all sage leaves are crispy.
- Continue cooking butter until brown and nutty smelling. Watch carefully so not to burn it, set aside.
- Add 2 -3 tablespoons of olive oil to a medium skillet and heat over medium high add mushrooms, garlic, shallot, salt and pepper and cook 5-7 minutes until mushrooms have released their juices.
- Take off heat. Toss hot pasta with mushroom mixture.
- Heat brown butter quickly and toss with pasta, add half the cheese, toss.
- Add some of the sage to the pasta. Serve immediately.
- Garnish with remaining sage leaves and parmesan cheese.
Take a look at our recommended wine pairing for this recipe below.
Pairing Recommendations - Red Blend