Roasted Rainbow Carrots with Shallot Vinaigrette and Crispy Bacon
Yield: 4-6 servings
Prep: 10 minutes | Cook: 30 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 2 bunches rainbow carrots with tops - peeled and trimmed
- 4 pieces thick-cut apple wood smoked bacon - chopped
- 1 large shallot - chopped
- 1 garlic clove - chopped
- ½ tsp dijon mustard
- 2 Tbsps vinegar (apple cider, champagne, or other)
- Olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Clean and prepare carrots. When trimming greens leave about an inch on the top, makes for a nice presentation. Make sure carrots are dry when placed on baking sheet.
- Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and freshly ground pepper. Toss to cover carrots.
- Roast in oven for 15-20 minutes or until carrots are nicely caramelized on all sides. Make sure to turn carrots occasionally.
- While carrots are cooking cook bacon and make vinaigrette.
- In a heavy skillet over medium heat cook chopped bacon until crispy. Remove bacon to a paper towel lined plate and set aside.
- Using 1-2 tablespoons of bacon grease (or if you prefer to use olive oil) cook shallot and garlic with a pinch of salt and pepper until caramelized. Place in a small bowl to cool.
- When cool whisk in dijon mustard and 1/4 cup of olive oil. Taste and adjust if necessary.
- When carrots are caramelized remove from oven and place on serving platter.
- Drizzle with shallot vinaigrette and sprinkle with bacon pieces and salt and freshly ground pepper.
Take a look at our recommended wine pairing for this recipe below.