Mini Duck Burgers
Yield: 6-8 servings (makes 16)
Prep: 1 hour | Cook: 10 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour and 10 minutes
Mini-burgers are fun especially when you take them to the next level by making them with duck. These burgers are juicy and make a great addition to your summer BBQs.
- 1 lb ground duck
- 1 scallion, white and a bit of the tender green, minced
- 1 tsp peeled grated fresh ginger
- 1 ½ tsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp Mongolian Marinade
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Additional Mongolian Marinade, for basting
- 16 small sesame brioche buns, split
- 1 to 2 tbsp butter
- Shiitake Mushroom Ketchup
- 2 cups arugula
- Chinese-Style Mustard Sauce
- ½ cup hoisin sauce
- 1 ½ tsp sugar
- 2 ¼ tsp tamari
- 2 ¼ tsp sherry vinegar
- 2 ¼ tsp rice vinegar
- 1 to 2 scallions, white and light green parts only, minced
- ½ tsp Tobasco sauce
- ¾ tsp black bean chili sauce or hot garlic sauce
- 2 ¼ tsp minced garlic
- ¼ to ½ tsp freshly ground white pepper
- 2 tbsp minced cilantro leaves and tender stems
- 1 ½ tsp sesame oil
- 2 to 3 Tbsps olive oil
- 1 lb shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and quartered
- 1 onion, finely diced
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 2 tbsp molasses
- ¼ bunch basil leaves, chopped
- ¼ cup Mongolian Marinade
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 tbsp Colman's mustard powder
- 1 large egg yolk
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 6 tbsp crème fraîche or sour cream
- Combine all ingredients to make the mongolian marinade, shiitake mushroom ketchup and chinese-style mustard sauce.
- Combine all the duck burger ingredients and mix well. Cover and chill for at least 1 hour and up to overnight.
- Portion the chilled duck mixture out into 2-ounce (¼ cup) mini patties.
- Grill or griddle the patties to order over medium-high heat 2-3 minutes per side, basting with the Mongolian marinade.
- Lightly butter and toast the buns.
- Place the burgers on the bun bottoms, and top each with some shiitake mushroom ketchup, arugula, and a drizzle of chinese-style mustard sauce.
Close off the sandwiches and serve with extra mustard and ketchup on the side.
Take a look at our recommended wine pairing for this recipe below.