91 points, two puffs
Connoisseurs' Guide to California Wine
Other varietals may add their voices to this very rich wine, and Cabernet Sauvignon, in particular, brings a firm streak of tannin, but the wine is very much Zinfandel at its heart and is rife with very deep blackberry fruit and vanilla. Full and fleshy in feel, if still a bit astringent on the back end, it is beginning to hint at complexity to come and deserves to be left alone for some three or four more years.
60% Zinfandel, 32% Cabernet Sauvignon, 6% Merlot, 2% Cabernet Franc
Aging & Oak
65% American oak, 35% French oak
40% new, 60% second vintage
· The aroma explodes with ripe fruit—strawberry, boysenberry, and plum, complemented by hints of violets, spice, and orange peel.
· This wine is medium-bodied with a chewy texture, robust yet approachable tannins, and a firm, lengthy finish.
· The growing season was initiated with above average rainfall
· An ideal fruit set produced abundant clusters and exceptional fruit
· A lengthy harvest concluded in early November
Released: November 2007